All participants of any group competing in any scholastic class must have approval for participation in any WGI-sanctioned event by the administration of the sponsoring school(s).
The purpose of this combined school policy is to encourage participation from scholastic groups that may have limited resources while keeping the integrity of the scholastic classes intact. Combining schools for the purpose of competitive advantage is contrary to this policy and will not be approved.
A group in any scholastic class may apply for approval to combine students from multiple schools within a school district under the following guidelines:
• Multiple groups within a school district may be approved to combine on a case-by-case review by WGI. In very rare cases, schools from different districts may combine if approved by WGI.
• If approved, combined school groups may be required to compete using the school district name.
• Scholastic groups utilizing students from parochial, vocational, or charter schools, must apply for approval under combined school guidelines.
• The group shall submit the Combined Schools Participating Group Master Agreement signed by the district superintendent and file with the WGI office.
• Groups applying to combine students from multiple schools within a school district must apply for approval by December 1.
• All combined schools previously approved as of the 2020 season do not need to re-apply to compete as a combined school (unless they have had changes to their circumstances ex: added new schools or other changes).
WGI will have the final determination on whether a group will be permitted to combine students from multiple schools.
In order to complete this application, all groups applying must upload a letter from the school district superintendent stating reasons why the district approves combining of students from multiple groups to create one group. Please make sure you have this ready as you will not be allowed to submit this application without uploading that document.