All participants of any group competing in any scholastic class must have approval for participation in any WGI-sanctioned event by the administration of the sponsoring school(s). Scholastic groups are defined as follows:
A group whose total membership are students from the same school, schools that feed into that school, or home-schooled students that reside within the school district boundaries. The group shall submit the Single School Participating Group Master Agreement signed by the authorizing school principal or administrator and filed with the WGI office.
The purpose of this combine school policy is to encourage participation from scholastic groups that may have limited resources while keeping the integrity of the scholastic classes intact. Combining Schools for the purpose of competitive advantage is contrary to this policy and will not be approved.
A group in any scholastic class may apply for approval to combine students from multiple schools within a school district under the following guidelines:
- Multiple groups within a school district may be approved to combine on a case-by-case review by WGI.
- If approved, all combined groups may be required to compete using the school district name.
- Scholastic groups utilizing students from parochial, vocational, or charter schools, must apply for approval under combined school guidelines.
- The group shall submit the Combined Schools Participating Group Master Agreement signed by the district superintendent and filed with the WGI office.
- Groups applying to combine students from multiple schools within a school district must apply for approval by December 1.
All combined schools previously approved do not need to re-apply to compete as a combined school (unless they have had changes to their circumstances ex: added new schools or other changes). We urge that no promises be made to your participants until you have been approved.
WGI will have the final determination on whether a group will be permitted to combine students from multiple schools.